Photo credit: Ashley Eiban Photography
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! From parades to light displays and seasonal cuisine, Lynchburg is full of yuletide adventure – right at your doorstep. So step out and try a few of these must-do holiday happenings:
2. Go to the Lynchburg Christmas Parade downtown on December 6th, 2015 from 4-6 pm. The parade goes down Main Street and Church Street, so you can get a great view from almost anywhere. There’s plenty of free candy for the little ones, too!
3. Visit the Mistletoe Market at the Lynchburg Community Market on Saturdays in December between 7 am – 3 pm to find local gifts, crafts, baked goods, decor, and more! They are even doing horse-drawn carriage rides. If that doesn’t put you in the holiday spirit, I don’t know what will. 1219 Main Street, Lynchburg, VA
Photo credit: Lynchburg Community Market
4. Make it a date and take your sweetheart out for an evening on the town. For holiday romance, may we suggest one of these Lynchburg restaurants for local cuisine?
5. Get caffeinated. While you’re shopping at River Ridge Mall, stop by the Black Water Coffee Company for a spiced chai latte or one of their famous holiday drinks.
6. Tune into 99.1 FM radio for Christmas music around the clock. I’ll be honest… It actually keeps my blood pressure down when I’m sitting in traffic on Wards Road.
Photo credit: q99fm.com
7. Snap a picture with the larger-than-life Christmas Tree in front of Liberty University’s DeMoss Hall. Walk along University Boulevard to enjoy lights, decorations, and Christmas music from the sound system stretching the length of the boulevard. 1971 University Blvd, Lynchburg, VA
8. Jump in the car with friends and family and head to the Elks Home in Bedford. This drive-thru display of more than 50,000 Christmas lights is definitely worth the trip. Open from 5:30-10:00 pm every night (Dec. 4th – 31st, 2015) at 931 Ashland Ave, Bedford, VA.
Photo credit: englishmeadowsslc.com
9. See the city lights from on top of the mountain. There’s a giant Christmas tree and gazebo for taking in the sights right on top of Liberty Mountain. And the view is – in a word – spectacular. To get there, drive to the Liberty Mountain Snowflex Centre and follow the signs for the LU monogram. 4000 Candlers Mountain Rd, Lynchburg, VA
Photo credit: liberty.edu
10. Go to a Christmas Eve service on December 24th. Here are a few options to choose from!
- 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, & 11 pm: Timberlake United Methodist Church, 21649 Timberlake Rd, Lynchburg, VA
- 3 pm & 5 pm: Thomas Road Baptist Church, 1 Mountain View Rd, Lynchburg, VA
- 5 pm, 7 pm, & 11 pm: Heritage United Methodist Church, 582 Leesville Rd, Lynchburg, VA
Merry Christmas, Lynchburg!!