You need you time.
As a mom, you’re always on call. Whether you’re clocked in at the office or at home, you’re always focused on making time for the ones you love.
And that’s a job that never stops. You work days, nights, weekends, and holidays caring for your family. Thank goodness the benefits are unparalleled (insert baby giggles and butterfly kisses here).
Parenting is certainly rewarding, but it can also be exhausting. Let’s face it—being a mom will wear you out. I have two preschoolers, and I work full-time. However, I tend to think that having preschoolers is basically synonymous with working full-time… am I right, ladies?
Investing time in yourself will reap benefits not only for you, but for your family as well. When you choose to relax and rejuvenate, you’re strengthening yourself in order to better care for those you love.
What’s a girl to do? When you’re ready for mom’s day off, jump in the car – maybe call a girlfriend or two to join you – and head to these 7 destinations for a girl’s getaway in Lynchburg:
1. Start your morning with a freshly-brewed cup of coffee from The White Hart Café in downtown Lynchburg. Blackwater Coffee Company is the brewing brand of The White Hart Café, and they curate and roast their own coffee beans on site, which creates a welcoming aroma the moment you walk in the door. 1208 Main Street, Lynchburg, VA.
2. Walk across the street to Studio 11 for up-cycled inspiration. Channel your inner creative genius with a chalk painting workshop, or find refurbished furniture, décor, and gifts. 1105 Main Street, Lynchburg, VA.
3. Browse the shelves at Givens Books & Little Dickens. There is something deeply therapeutic about a leisurely stroll through a good bookstore. Take a moment to flip through the pages of an old classic, or find a best-seller you’ve been longing to read. 2236 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA.
4. After some reading, drive a few miles west on 221 to All Fired Up. This walk-in studio offers a creative environment for pottery painting. Choose from hundreds of ready-to-paint pieces and have fun expressing your artistry. No appointment necessary. 18478 Forest Road, Forest, VA.
5. Treat yourself to a spa experience at Spa 4109. Choose from a variety of treatments including manicures, pedicures, facials, hair services, and massage therapy, or select a package that combines multiple treatments into one amazing spa day. 4109 Boonsboro Road, Lynchburg, VA.
6. When it comes to dinner, Dish does it right. This restaurant’s atmosphere is laid back with a rustic, urban vibe. The tapas and small plates at Dish feature locally-sourced ingredients with surprising taste and simple elegance. 1120 Main Street, Lynchburg, VA.
7. For dessert, indulge at Cao Artisan Chocolates. You’ve never had chocolate like this before. Hand-made on site, these artisan chocolates are crafted from fresh cacao beans, and the drinking chocolate is like sipping a cup of pure bliss. Need I say more? 908 Main Street, Lynchburg, VA.
Taking time off can be easier said than done, but it’s worth it. Don’t ever feel guilty about scheduling time for yourself. Find a day that works for you then delegate baby duty to your sweetheart, a relative, or a friend. Simply say, “I’ve been so busy recently and I’d love to make some time for myself. Could you please help me by watching the kids?” I bet they’ll do it in a heartbeat.
Above all, remember to relax and be refreshed by your day off. Allow yourself to savor and enjoy the moments. And when you get home, the kids don’t need to know how much fun you had without them — mum’s the word.
Photo credit: The White Hart Cafe